Our largest and most powerful 60/40 head for the small block Chevy features 100% CNC machined intake runners, exhaust ports and combustion chambers. Capable of flowing 350 CFM at 0.800" of lift these heads come equipped with Titanium retainers and high quality components throughout, the 60/40 valve spacing which requires shaft mounted rocker arms for optimum valve train geometry and extra machining for 3/8" pushrod clearance. NPP stands for "no pushrod pinch."
|245cc NPP Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads|
|Part #||Exhaust Port||Porting Finish||Combustion Chamber|
Click part # to add product to your cart
|245cc Race Head Flow Chart|
Test conducted at 28" of water (pressure) on Superflow 600
Bore Size: 4.155", 3/4" radius plate exhaust, 1 7/8" curved pipe
|100% CNC Ported Combustion Chambers|
|100% CNC Ported Exhaust Ports|
|100% CNC Ported Intake Ports|
|Competition 5-angle Valve Job|
|8mm Bead Lock Intake Valve, 2.125" x 5.000" Overall Valve Length|
|8mm Bead Lock Exhaust Valve, 1.600" x 5.030" Overall Valve Length|
|PAC Racing Springs 1.550" OD Solid Roller Dual Valve Spring Pac #1225, 250 lbs on seat, .800" maximum lift, Max RPM 8000-8200|
|10° Titanium Retainers 1.490" O.D x 1.115" I.D x .745" I.D|
|10° Bead Lock Valve Keepers with lashcap recess|
|Viton Valve Seals .600" O.D x .495" I.D|
|Hardened Valve Spring I.D Locator 1.550" O.D x .780" I.D|
|Ductile Iron Intake Valve Seats 2.200" O.D x 1.750" I.D x.375" Deep|
|Ductile Iron Exhaust Valve Seats 1.696" O.D x 1.325" I.D x .305" Deep|
|8mm Bronze Valve Guides .502" O.D x 2.100" O.A.L|
|1.5 T&D Shaft Mount w/ .450" off-set (requires .180 offset lifters)|
|1.6 T&D Shaft Mount w/ .450" off-set (requires .180 offset lifters)|
|1.6 T&D Shaft Mount w/ .550" off-set|
|Intake Gasket 1.310 x 2.180 w/ 3/8" radius, Fel-Pro #1206|
|Exhaust Port Gasket, Fel-Pro #1405|
|Head Gasket, 350cid Fel-Pro #1004|
|Head Gasket, 400cid Fel-Pro #1014|
|SB Chevy Head Bolt Kit, ARP #134-3701|
|SB Chevy Head Stud Kit, 12 Point Nuts, ARP #234-4301|
|Head Bolt Washers, Manley|
|Spark Plug Starting Range||
|Specifications & Features:|
|Intake Port Volume||
|Intake Port Dimension||
2.200" H x 1.300" W 7/16 Radius
|Intake Port Location||
|Exhaust Port Volume||
|Exhaust Port Dimension||
1.465" H x 1.570" W
|Exhaust Port Location||
|Combustion Chamber Size||
70cc or 80cc
|Valve Cover Bolt Pattern||
|Valve Spring Pocket Diameter||
|Max Valve Spring Pocket Machining||
|Warning: Do not machine spring pad any deeper.|
|Minimum Bore Diameter||
.006" per cc 65cc Maximum
.009" per cc 60cc Maximum
|Note: Angle mills might require .120" Thick intake gasket.|
|Minimum Cross Sectional Area||
2.730 sq. in.
|Spark Plug Dimensions||
14mm x .750" w/Gasket Seat
Non Emissions Compliant
AFR Small Block Chevy
- We strongly recommend using 7/16" rocker studs with todays fast cam rates and RPM capabilities as 3/8" Rocker Studs can occasionally break.
- Heads with 1.625" O.D springs will require some springs to be removed for access to some head bolts when installing the heads.
- Heads are designed for 5/16" pushrods, Larger pushrods will not fit without clearancing and is not recommended since some areas are very thin. AFR recommends the use of .120" thick-wall pushrods.
- AFR 227/235cc Heads: Due to the "60/40" stud and valve locations, shaft mount rockers are highly recommended, however if you're ONLY Drag Racing you can run a .050" offset intake stud mount rocker with the AFR supplied guide plate (exhaust will use a standard rocker). Please note that with the .050" offset rocker arms the roller tip of the stud mount rocker will not be perfectly centered and will not sit squarely on the valve causing increased side loading and wear. This option is not recommended for race/endurance applications and/or street engines that see a lot of miles.
- AFR LT-1 / LT-4 / Vortec Heads - Your factory accessory bolts and center bolt valve covers need to be shortened 3/16" or they will bottom out.
- Modeled after GM L-98 Aluminum Head
General Recommendations for AFR Cylinder Heads:
- Bar Codes - Please keep the bar code & paperwork shipped with your head, these contain all the specs for your heads when calling AFR.
- Pushrods - Different length pushrods might be required, always check pushrod length. Check pushrod clearance with heads placed on the block before final assembly. Larger pushrods will not fit without clearancing and is not recommended since some areas are very thin. AFR recommends the use of .120" thick-wall pushrods.
- Mills - Flat or angle mills could affect flow numbers and might require a thicker intake gasket.
- Stud Girdles - Due to many available factory OEM and aftermarket style/variations your existing stud girdle may not fit (AFR heads require AFR Stud Girdles)
- Boosted/Nitrous Applications - We strongly recommend considering Inconel exhaust valves and AFR's optional heavy duty intake valve for power adder applications. Since boosted or nitrous oxide applications accelerate RPM quickly, additional spring pressure is required. We strongly recommend upgrading your valve springs or increasing your valve spring pressures since boost pressure on the valve reduces spring tension. For example, 15lbs boost on a 2.125 OD valve reduces the springs closed seat pressure by approximately 40-45lbs.
- All MARINE Applications - We strongly recommend Inconel exhaust valves & also offer a hard anodized coating to slow the effects of corrosion. Please see note on guide clearance below.
- Valve Guide Clearance - Your AFR Heads come with proper guide clearance (.0012"-.0016") for most applications. Boosted/Nitrous or marine applications might require additional clearance and it is the customer's responsibility to verify proper clearance in these applications.
- Valve Springs - Forced induction, nitrous oxide and cams with aggressive ramp rates may require additional spring pressure. We offer optional valve springs for these types of applications. AFR also recommends the use of billet cam cores and short travel Hydraulic Roller lifters which tolerate higher spring loads. Please don't hesitate to contact us directly if you question which spring is correct for your application.
- AFR Titanium Valves - Might require lash caps and different length pushrods. Titanium valves are coated, do not grind valves because it removes the protective coating.
- Piston to Valve - AFR assumes no responsibility for damage if the end user builds an engine without properly verifying he has enough piston to valve clearance (depth and radial clearance both checked). We recommend a minimum depth of .080" on the intake valve and .100" on the exhaust with a radial clearance of .020" minimum around the perimeter of each valve. Clay is recommended to visually verify both depth as well as radial clearance. Just checking depth is not enough, the position of the valve pocket must also be addressed. It is the customers responsibility to verify proper piston to valve clearance.
- CNC Porting - Occasionally a 100% CNC ported head might have a very small area left "as cast", this in no way affects performance.
- Shaft Mount Rockers - Shaft mount rockers might require additional clearance for proper pushrod fitment. Do not clearance the push rod area as the wall is .060" thick.
- Spring Installation - To ease installation with 1.550" O.D or larger springs, 12 pt head bolt or studs are recommended for extra clearance. Beveled or ground washers might be needed (ARP #200-8504 comes with smaller O.D and doesn't need to be ground)
- Rocker Arms - Use full roller rocker arms, roller tip rockers with stock style bodies are NOT recommended.