Recommended for displacements up to 408 cubic inches, operating up to 6500-6800 RPM, our 195cc "Competition" cylinder heads feature 100% CNC machined intake ports, exhaust ports and combustion chambers. Manufactured in A356 aluminum and assembled with high quality components. Not compatible with OEM pistons. Component upgrades and different machining options are available to suit your specific build. AFR heads are available bare (without parts), call our tech line for details. Please see footnotes for additional information.
|195cc Aluminum SBF Cylinder Heads|
|Part #||Description||Combustion Chamber|
|1426-716||Stud Mount - With EGR & Air Pump||58cc|
|1428-716||Stud Mount - With EGR & Air Pump||72cc|
|1381-716||Stud Mount - Without EGR & Air Pump||58cc|
|1383-716||Stud Mount - Without EGR & Air Pump||72cc|
Click part # to add product to your cart
|195cc Competition Head Flow Chart|
Test conducted at 28" of water (pressure) on Superflow 600
Bore Size: 4.060", 3/4" radius plate exhaust, 1 3/4" curved pipe
|Basic Package Components|
|100% CNC Ported Combustion Chambers|
|100% CNC Ported Exhaust Ports|
|100% CNC Ported Intake Ports|
|Competition 5-angle Valve Job|
|8mm Bead Lock Intake Valve, 2.050" x 4.903" Overall Valve Length, Stud mount|
|8mm Bead Lock Exhaust Valve, 1.600" x 4.950" Overall Valve Length|
|PAC Racing Spring 1.270" OD Hydraulic Roller Dual Valve Spring, 155 lbs. on seat, .650" maximum lift, Max RPM 7000-7200|
|Manley 7° Chrome Moly Retainers|
|7° Bead Lock Valve Keepers|
|ARP 7/16" Rocker Studs|
|Adjustable 5/16" Guide Plates|
|Viton Valve Seals|
|Hardened Valve Spring I.D Locator 1.550" O.D x .780" I.D|
|Ductile Iron Intake Valve Seats 2.131" O.D x 1.680" I.D x .375" Deep|
|Ductile Iron Exhaust Valve Seats 1.650" O.D x 1.350" I.D x .375" Deep|
|Bronze Valve Guides|
|Thermactor Air Injector Reducer Bushing (5/8"-11 x 7/16"-14)|
|Intake Port Gasket, 1.200" X 2.000" w/ 3/8" radius, Fel-Pro #1262|
|Important: Do not port match your intake manifold to Fel-Pro gasket as it does not precisely fit AFR heads.|
|Exhaust Port Gasket, Fel-Pro #1487|
|Head Gasket, Fel-Pro #1011-1|
|SB Ford 1/2" Bolt Head Bolt Kit, ARP #154-3603|
|SB Ford 1/2" Bolt Head Stud Kit, ARP #254-4503|
|1/2" Bolt - 7/16" Thread Head Bolts|
|Head Bolt Washer Kit, Manley|
RPM Performer or Vic Jr.
|Spark Plug Starting Range||
|Specifications & Features:|
|Intake Port Volume||
|Intake Port Dimension||
2.060" H x 1.220" W 11/32 Radius
|Intake Port Location||
|Exhaust Port Volume||
|Exhaust Port Dimension||
1.405" H x 1.400" W
|Exhaust Port Location||
|Combustion Chamber Size||
58cc or 72cc
|Valve Cover Bolt Pattern||
|Valve Spring Pocket Diameter||
|Max Valve Spring Pocket Machining||
|Minimum Bore Diameter||
.006" per cc 54cc Max (from 58cc); 68cc Max (from 72cc);
.009" per cc 54cc Max (from 58cc); 68cc Max (from 72cc);
|Minimum Cross Sectional Area||
2.075 sq. in.
|Spark Plug Dimensions||
14mm x .750" w/Gasket Seat
|Head Bolt Diameter||
AFR Small Block Ford
- We strongly recommend using 7/16" rocker studs with today's fast cam rates and RPM capabilities as 3/8" Rocker Studs can occasionally break.
- Heads with 1.625" O.D springs will require some springs to be removed for access to some head bolts when installing the heads.
- Heads are designed for 5/16" pushrods, Larger pushrods will not fit without clearancing and is not recommended since some areas are very thin. AFR recommends the use of .120" thick-wall pushrods.
General Recommendations for AFR Cylinder Heads:
- Bar Codes - Please keep the bar code & paperwork shipped with your head, these contain all the specs for your heads when calling AFR.
- High Volume/Pressure Oil Pumps - If you are using a high volume or high pressure oil pump it can submerge the valve seals in oil causing smoking or oil consumption. Your block manufacturer or engine builder can recommend oil restrictions to the top end/valve train components.
- Pushrods - Different length pushrods might be required, always check pushrod length. Check pushrod clearance with heads placed on the block before final assembly. Larger pushrods will not fit without clearancing and is not recommended since some areas are very thin. AFR recommends the use of .120" thick-wall pushrods.
- Mills - Flat or angle mills could affect flow numbers and might require a thicker intake gasket.
- Stud Girdles - Due to many available factory OEM and aftermarket style/variations your existing stud girdle may not fit (AFR heads require AFR Stud Girdles)
- Boosted/Nitrous Applications - We strongly recommend considering Inconel exhaust valves and AFR's optional heavy duty intake valve for power adder applications. Since boosted or nitrous oxide applications accelerate RPM quickly, additional spring pressure is required. We strongly recommend upgrading your valve springs or increasing your valve spring pressures since boost pressure on the valve reduces spring tension. For example, 15lbs boost on a 2.125 OD valve reduces the springs closed seat pressure by approximately 40-45lbs.
- All MARINE Applications - We strongly recommend Inconel exhaust valves & also offer a hard anodized coating to slow the effects of corrosion. Please see note on guide clearance below.
- Valve Guide Clearance - Your AFR Heads come with proper guide clearance (.0012"-.0016") for most applications. Boosted/Nitrous or marine applications might require additional clearance and it is the customer's responsibility to verify proper clearance in these applications.
- Valve Springs - Forced induction, nitrous oxide and cams with aggressive ramp rates may require additional spring pressure. We offer optional valve springs for these types of applications. AFR also recommends the use of billet cam cores and short travel Hydraulic Roller lifters which tolerate higher spring loads. Please don't hesitate to contact us directly if you question which spring is correct for your application.
- AFR Titanium Valves - Might require lash caps and different length pushrods. Titanium valves are coated, do not grind valves because it removes the protective coating.
- Piston to Valve - AFR assumes no responsibility for damage if the end user builds an engine without properly verifying he has enough piston to valve clearance (depth and radial clearance both checked). We recommend a minimum depth of .080" on the intake valve and .100" on the exhaust with a radial clearance of .020" minimum around the perimeter of each valve. Clay is recommended to visually verify both depth as well as radial clearance. Just checking depth is not enough, the position of the valve pocket must also be addressed. It is the customers responsibility to verify proper piston to valve clearance.
- CNC Porting - Occasionally a 100% CNC ported head might have a very small area left "as cast", this in no way affects performance.
- Shaft Mount Rockers - Shaft mount rockers might require additional clearance for proper pushrod fitment. Do not clearance the push rod area as the wall is .060" thick. If you use Jesel Shaft Mounts, AFR only recommends their Pro Series.
- Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rockers - Typically these rocker arms do not clear a 1.500" O.D retainer. A lash cap is required to space up the rocker arm.
- Spring Installation - To ease installation with 1.550" O.D or larger springs, 12 pt head bolt or studs are recommended for extra clearance. Beveled or ground washers might be needed (ARP #200-8504 comes with smaller O.D and doesn't need to be ground)
- Valve Spring Installed Heights - AFR valve spring installed height spec is +/- .015 which is the smallest shim available for adjustment.
- Rocker Arms - Use full roller rocker arms, roller tip rockers with stock style bodies are NOT recommended.